This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

actipro 4.0

Topics: Developer Forum
Nov 19, 2006 at 6:22 PM
Hi,
I downloaded Actipro 4.0.0234 from vendor's site. But when I want to compile , there was a lot of errors. Can you NQuery build with latest version Actipro and add it to source code section ?.
Thanks
Coordinator
Nov 23, 2006 at 12:16 AM
I just downloaded Version 4.0.0234 from Actipro and tried to compile (of course it fails as you said).

The problem is that NQuery.UI.Actipro was built against the 3.0 version of the syntax editor and Actipro has done a lot of breaking changes.

In the next days I will try to create a new integration project so that there are two assemblies to support both 3.0 and 4.0 versions of Actipro's syntax editor.
Coordinator
Nov 23, 2006 at 12:18 AM
This discussion has been copied to Work Item 5868. You may wish to continue further discussion there.
Nov 23, 2006 at 7:53 AM
On the other hand, ... there is a free code editing component that you can use. It has the advantage of not having a 15 day evaluation period.

http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/fireballcodeeditor.asp

It uses a LGPL license, so you should be able to link to it without making your project GPL.
Coordinator
Nov 24, 2006 at 9:28 AM
Sounds interesting. I've also played with the ICSharpCode Text Editor control but this one is released under GPL.

However, there are also some problems from a technical perspective. First, the the main reasons I integrate into Actipro's editor are as follows:

1. They have an XML format that describes the language. For NQuery I don't want to write a custom highlighter (as it is with most editors). The language is basically SQL (only with fewer keywords).

2. They provide an easy way to create member completion and parameter info popup windows. NQuery itself contains interfaces to get contextual information needed for code assistance (e.g. which tables are visible at a given source code position). All I need is a simple way to create such windows incl. icons and formatting. For ISharpCode's editor both windows are not that easy to setup. After having a quick look at Fireball code editor I think this editor doesn't even have a support for this.

At the moment I don't have enough time to create integrations for text editors from different vendors nor to change the current vendor. Currently I am working to get subqueries implemented. The next goal is to create a stable 1.0 release. So, at this time I can only offer an integration for Actipro. But if someone wants to particate and write and integration for a different vendor just let me know.

Nov 24, 2006 at 12:30 PM
Folks,

I converted the project such that it now runs with the new Actipro 4.0 stuff. Alot of changes, source clode, license file, SQL.XML file, all needed to be changed. I'm new to this forum so if the moderator wants to email me I'd be more than happy to zip the entire project up and send it to him/her so it can be posted for those wanting to use it.

Kind Regards,
Matt
Coordinator
Nov 24, 2006 at 1:34 PM
Hi Matt,

thanks for your interest and work :-)
If you want to share you work you can send it over via e-mail to terrajobst -at- web -dot- de.

As I said earlier I will integrate it in a few days.

Thank you very much.
Nov 24, 2006 at 2:19 PM
OK, on the way now.

Kind Regards,
Matt
Coordinator
Nov 24, 2006 at 10:03 PM
Hi Matt,

thanks for your support. I just integrated your changes and uploaded a new release.

Now there are two integration assemblies. One for version 3.1 and one for version 4.0 of Actipro Syntax Editor. The demo application is linked against the version 4.0.